The old Victoria Hall had been taken over by Mr and Mrs HG Roscoe in September 1929 and re-christened the Palais de Danse. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Army as a dining area for the troops stationed in the town. After the war the building was restored to its former glory and together with its famous school of dancing, thrived for most of the next two decades until its eventual closure in 1967. Popular acts to appear at the Palais included Jimmy Crawford and the Ravens. Under new management, the Palais continued as a ballroom but was converted, after damage by vandals in 1973, into a bingo hall and used as such throughout the 70s and 80s. In the early 90s the Palais was briefly used as a rave club. This phase ended in tears after police intervention. In 1997 it was given another makeover and re-appeared as a new night club.