The Granada (Plaza), Mansfield’s first luxury cinema, opened in 1930, to over 5000 visitors. In 1936 a Wurlitzer was installed and in 1942 the name changed to Granada. 1954 saw it re-open after a modernisation, which included the installation of a wide screen and surround sound – one of the first provincial cinemas to be so fitted. The Granada was also home to the award winning Harvey Smith Dance Orchestra. The 60s saw many cinemas nationwide being used to stage rock’n’roll concerts: the early bands required little in the way of staging so the shallowness of the stage was of no consequence. The Granada played host to many major stars, mostly on hastily-convened package tours, with each act given only two or three songs to make their mark. A typical bill was 1961’s All-Stars Show, featuring Gene Vincent and Screaming Lord Sutch. February 1962 saw the Beatles share the billing with Helen Shapiro. Within a year they were conquering the world. But by 1973 the Granada had reached the end of its useful life: demolition began in May.