Streets of Mansfield Woodhouse
The streets of Mansfield Woodhouse are so named for a variety of reasons.
Some streets like Mapletoft Avenue, Bullock Close, Wilcox Avenue, Booth Street and Eather Avenue, Mallatratt Place, Brown Avenue and Mayhall Avenue were named after Mansfield Woodhouse Urban District Councillors while Lawrence Avenue was named after Lawrence Walker, a former chief architect of the UDC .
Ferguson Avenue was named after Dr Ferguson, a local doctor.
Streets named after places
Others were named after Australian cities like Melbourne Street, Sydney Close, and Brisbane Close; yet others were called after English places like Worcester Avenue, Hereford Avenue, Durham Close, Lincoln Drive, Canterbury Close, Norwich Close, and Winchester Drive. Then Scottish place names were used like Stranraer Close, Dundee Drive and Brechin Court.
Builders & families
Some streets were so called after the builder that built them like Stainforth Street and Blake Street, while Coke Street (now called Newhaven Avenue) was so named after the Coke family that lived at Debdale Hall in the 19th century and early 20th century.
Vallance Street and Charles Street were so named after the Vallance family who had connections with the Old Hall on the Market Place and when the hall was pulled down in the 1890s the stone was re-used in the building of the houses on those two streets.
Was Albert Street named after Queen Victoria’s husband, Prince Albert? It is very probable, because in the 1875 Ordnance Survey Map of Woodhouse, Albert Street was called Taylor Lane. By the time of the 1899 OS Map, it had changed. Maybe it was changed to commemorate his memory.
There are an abundance of streets named after trees, like Beech Tree Avenue, Cedar Avenue, Pine Avenue, Cherry Tree Close and Laburnum Grove to name but a few.
Street names for obvious reasons
Some street names are obvious why they were called — Debdale Lane led to Debdale Hall; Poplar Street, to The Poplars (a large white house that stood facing the end of the street); Station Street and Station Hill, to the railway station; Leas Road, to the Leas Brook, Church Hill, Church Street and St Edmund’s Avenue, to the church; Northfield Lane and Northfield Park to the North Field; School Lane to the National School and so on. Park Hall Road led up to Park Hall, but on the OS Map of 1875 it was then called Horse Pasture Lane.
Cavendish Street and Newcastle Street, Thoresby Road and Manvers Street, Portland Street, Welbeck Road and Titchfield Avenue all relate to the families that lived in the great houses of the Dukeries.
Roman Road & mediaeval patterns
It is thought that Leeming Lane refers to a Roman Road and that Whinney Hill was the site of an ancient hill fort.
Streets in the centre of Mansfield Woodhouse follow a typical mediaeval pattern with three lanes running parallel, Priory Road, Station Street and Grove Street. They and some other streets have been renamed – Priory Road was once called Back Lane; Grove Street was Back Lane North; and Station Street was Town Street before the advent of the railways.
Castle Street was Needs Lane (Col Need, retired, of the Royal Navy, lived at the nearby Manor House in the 19th century); and Vale Road was Common Lane. There is a row of stone cottages on there called Blenheim Terrace. Parker’s Lane used to be called Sykes Street after the family that lived at the Old Hall in the 19th century.
There are many, many yards that run at right angles to Station Street, High Street and Albert Street. They were more than likely named after the families that lived there such as Pogmore’s Yard, Marlow’s Yard, Jarman’s Yard, Montague’s Yard, Blackgate Yard, Parmenter’s Yard, Strutt’s Yard, Crookes’ Yard, Watkinson’s Yard etc.
Poets’ and playwrights’ names have been used such as in Tennyson Avenue, Wordsworth Avenue, Shakespeare Avenue, Shelley Avenue, Burns Avenue and Byron Avenue.
Which came first, Swan Lane or the White Swan Inn?
West Hill Park refers to the name of the large house, called West Hill that used to be there. (Does anyone have a photograph of West Hill, that I could copy please.)
Mills & industry
Old Mill Lane and New Mill Lane refer to the windmills that were in that vicinity.
Sherwood Street was built to house the miners that worked at Sherwood Colliery and Sherwood Rise led to the colliery.
Gladstone Street could refer to the eminent 19th century prime minister, William Ewart Gladstone.
Then there are several rows of houses and cottages on streets that have an extra name such as Matlock Terrace, and Hope Terrace, on Leeming Lane South, Blenheim Terrace on Vale Road and Victoria Buildings which was a row of cottages on Castle Street (now demolished.)
MPs, actors & builders,
Marples Avenue was named after Ernest Marples, the then Minister of Transport, when he came to open the avenue in 1959.
Louwil Avenue is probably named after the builder’s or architect’s sons, Lou and Wil.
Baker Road was called after Stanley Baker, the actor, who came to open the road about 1960.
Middleton Road, Henry Avenue and Audrey Crescent, were named after the family builders, Henry and Audrey Middleton.
But there are some names that intrigue me as to the origin of why they are called so. For example the use of Christian names as in Dorothy Drive, Catherine Avenue, Alexandra Avenue and George Street, do they refer to someone in particular?
The streets like Fal Paddock, Debden Down, Eden Low, Kennet Paddock, Stort Square, Chess Burrow, Glaven Close, Colne Close, Leam Glen, Lune Meadow, Arun Dale and Heddon Bar are named after British rivers.
Butt as in Butt Lane is a Saxon word meaning the butt end of public land.
Outgang, as in Outgang Lane is a Saxon word meaning the outermost lane going into the fields around a village.
Oxclose Lane would have been used as an enclosure for oxen.
Cox’s Lane derived its name from the Cox family who lived at Grasscroft Cottage there.
Penn Yard was off Station Hill between Grove Street and Station Street. Would Penn Yard have been named after a sheep enclosure there or after a local family?
Still a puzzle
Still a puzzle are the origins of Woodhouse streets such as Albany Drive, Ashby Avenue, Allcroft Street, Beresford Road, Chilton Crescent, Crookes Avenue, Dennor Drive, Dormy Close, Freeby Avenue, Greenwood Avenue, Harby Avenue, Kingsley Avenue, Morven Avenue, Parker’s Lane, Slant Lane, and Welwyn Avenue.
The Peafield Lane Estates feature names like Ludborough Walk, Buttermere Court and Bryony Way. How were those names chosen? Litton Road, Calver Street, Trusley Walk, Brackenfield Avenue and Chelmorton Close there, are named after small Derbyshire villages.
Lastly — Yorke Street — why is it spelt with an e on the end?
If you can help me with answers to any of these questions please add them in them as a comment.