Soon be to be re-named The Rebecca Adlington Swimming Centre
Sherwood Colliery Pit Head Baths were officially opened in June 1934, by Mr F.N. Ellis, J.P. then Chairman of the Sherwood Colliery Co. Ltd. At this time they were the most modern and up-to-date pithead baths scheme in the country.
The scheme, costing approximately £32,000, was carried out under the Miners Welfare Fund and commenced on 20 February 1933. It was unusual in that it included a swimming bath and was the only one in the country to do so. It addition to the swimming pool and the pithead baths, the scheme included a large canteen.
In the mid 1960s the pool was purchased for £22,000 by the then Borough Council from the former owners, the Trustees of the Sherwood Colliery Miners Welfare.
In 1975 it became necessary to carry out extensive modernisation of the by then out dated baths. An investment of £350,000 saw the main pool lengthened to 25m and the addition of a teaching pool with ramped access.
Somewhat prophetically the Chronicle Advertiser of 10 April 1975 stated :
‘Sherwood baths has come from pithead venture to the status of a championship sized pool in just over 40 years, an ideal setting in which local Olympic stars of the future can try out their paces.’