Forest Town War Memorial

Special Renovation Service October 2017

By Pauline Marples

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Forest Town War Memorial' page

P Marples

On Sunday October 1st 2017 we celebrated the refurbishment of the war
memorial which has stood in the grounds of St Alban's Church, Forest Town since 1921.

Over the past year money had been raised by the community to both clean
and replace the missing letters of names listed on the memorial. 

First a short service attended by people of all ages was held in the church led by Rev Philip Stead and Neil Davidson (Chair of Clipstone and Forest Town British Legion).

Everyone then gathered round the memorial to hear buglers play the 'Last Post'  to hold a one minute silence, followed by reveille.

It was then quite moving as each of the 43 names on the memorial from the First and Second World Wars were slowly read out, and a person moved forward to lay a poppy cross in their memory. A wreath was then laid in remembrance of all who had participated in conflicts throughout the years.

Some people laying the crosses were descendants of those named, and for them this was a very meaningful occasion.

This page was added on 18/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.