St Lawrences Church

St Lawrences Church stands on the junction of Pecks Hill and Skerry Hill, today it is a busy junction as cars, buses etc use both roads. The photos reveal a much more peaceful time when people did not have to worry about traffic. The church was dedicated in September 1909 and has served the community ever since.

Memories of its early history include some from Rev. E Banting who was first a curate at St Lawrence’s from October 1916 then Vicar from 1921-1933, he referred to the churches old Mission Room in Sandy Lane which was enlarged by adding a hall. [date not given]. ‘This hall was used by an indefatigable band of workers who week after week organised dances and entertainment for soldiers from the fifteen thousand  camped at Clipstone.  Although soldiers were only charged sixpence, a sum of over £1,000 was raised, which in due course was offered to the Church Commissioners who augmented it and made it possible to build a Parsonage House…’

Wilfred Dolby Fuller who was awarded the VC in World War One is recorded as having attended St Lawrences Church, and Morgan Kingston the local miner turned opera singer sang at fund raising events when the church was being built. Information on both these two people can be found on other pages of this web site.

For more information on the church see


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone