Saint George's Memorial Church, Ypres
Saint George’s Memorial Church, Ypres
On a recent visit to Belgium, we discovered a memorial to fallen Mansfield soldiers at St George’s Memorial Church, Ypres.
The memorial chair reads …. In Memory of L.F. Bowen Oct 9 1917 and C. Bowen May 27 1918. Sons of Thomas and Lavinia Bowen, Mansfield, Notts….
A Short History of the Church
At the end of WW1 Field Marshal French appealed for an Anglican Church to be built in Ypres as a permanent memorial to the dead but also as a meeting place for the visiting relatives. The Bishop of Fulham opened the church on Palm Sunday, 24th March 1929.
Every item in the church, the plaques on the walls and the chairs, the windows, the banners and the church furniture are all in memory of someone who gave their lives for freedom.