The Royal visit to the Mansfield area was part of a three day tour of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Yorkshire which commenced in Nottingham on the 24th June 1914. After a busy first day the Royal visitors stayed overnight at Welbeck with the Duke of Portland.
On the 25th June King George V and Queen Mary visited Mansfield where at a ceremony in the Market Place the King pressed an electric button to officially open the new wing of the Mansfield [General] Hospital. The Royal party then proceeded to Messrs., Barringer and Wallis where they made a tour of every department under the guidance of Mr W H Reddan and Mr A H Wallis. From Mansfield they went to Forest Town where they made an unexpected call to the cottage of miner Elijah Mottishaw and his wife. (See our page ‘Royal Visit to a Miners Cottage’ under Places/Forest Town).
These visits were memorable occasions for people in the Mansfield Area and were reported in many newspapers both local and national.