The inscription on this portrait reads
|DUCHESS OF PORTLAND|
|THE 6th DUKE OF PORTLAND|
|on his marriage|
|BY HIS GRACE’S ENGLISH TENANTS|
|JUNE 11th 1889|
Many people who worked at, or visited Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital, will recall this Painting of the Duchess of Portland, painted by Sir Hubert Herkomer VCO, RA. The painting hung for many years in the staff dining room. It was later moved to the Portland Room, next to the chapel. When the hospital closed in 1995 it was returned to Welbeck Estates.