1086 “Mammesfelde” was mentioned in the Domesday Book.
1093 William II gave the church of SS. Peter and Paul to the Church of St. Mary, Lincoln, as an endowment to the See of Lincoln.
1227 Henry III granted the people of Mansfield a market charter.
1377 Richard II granted a Fair to the men of Mansfield.
1559 October Mansfield parish registers began.
1567 Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School, Church Side, was built. The letters patent authorising it had been granted by Queen Elizabeth I in 1561.
1648 George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers), visited Mansfield.
1702 5 October The Old Meeting House was opened, originally as a Presbyterian place of worship, later Unitarian.
1704 13 February Robert Dodsley, poet, playwright and publisher, author of the play “The King and Miller of Mansfield”, was born in a house on Ratcliffe Gate on the site now occupied by the Brown Cow Inn.
1711 September Samuel Brunts died leaving much of his fortune to the charity which bears his name.
1729 Mansfield’s first workhouse was built on Nottingham Road.
1752 The Moot Hall was erected by Henriette Cavendish Holles (d. December 1755), Countess of Oxford and Mortimer, then Lady of the Manor.
1784 14 December Charles Thompson died, leaving his fortune to various local charities. His grave is near the junction of Southwell Road and Berry Hill Lane.
1787 Thompson’s School opened on Toothill Lane.
1788 Methodism first preached in Mansfield by John Adams, a Nottingham Methodist preacher.
Sherwood Foundry, Nottingham Road, was established.
1791 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Stockwell Gate (Later, 1815, building sold to Baptists).
1810 Stanhope House, Bridge Street, bought by Wesleyan Methodists.
1812 4 July After conversion, Stanhope House opened as a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
1819 13 April The Mansfield to Pinxton Railway was opened.
1823 17 June The Mansfield Improvement Act received the Royal Assent.
1824 10 July Mansfield was lit by gas for the first time. The Mansfield Gas Light Company had obtained an Act to light Mansfield by gas in 1823.
1834 The Mechanics’ Institute was founded in Queen Street.
1835 21 July The foundation stone of the Mansfield Town Hall was laid by Mr. John Coke.
1836 The Town Hall was opened for the first time.
1839 The Methodist New Connexion opened a chapel on St. John Street.
1840 The Improvement Commissioners commenced to clear the area of the Market Place.
1847 The Mansfield-Erewash Valley Railway was constructed.
1848 The Mansfield to Pinxton Railway was acquired by the Midland Railway and the track relaid for steam locomotion. Construction of King’s Mill viaduct was begun.
1849 The Bentinck Memorial was erected in the Market Place in memory of Lord George Bentinck (1802-1848).
1849 9 October First steam train from Nottingham to Mansfield.
1852 Meadow Foundry, Littleworth (later, 1960, Sheepbridge Lane), founded.
1853 Public swimming baths were erected in Bath Street.
1854 The Mansfield Brewery Company is formed in a partnership between William Baily, Samuel Hage and John Watson.
1856 March The last mail stagecoach ran to Chesterfield.
1856 29 July St. John’s Church was opened and consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln, the Rt. Revnd. John Jackson (1811-1885).
1858 January The first issue of a local weekly newspaper, the “Mansfield Reporter & Sutton Times”, appeared.
1862 St. John’s School opened.
Union Foundry, Union Street, founded.
1864 9 June The Mansfield Co-operative Society is formed.
1865 7 February Stanhope House completely demolished, rebuilt and reopened as a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
1869 Construction of the railway viaduct across Mansfield was begun.
1870 A private company obtained an Act for supplying Mansfield with water.
1871 3 April Mansfield to Southwell railway line opened.
1871 15 April The first issue of a local weekly newspaper, the “Mansfield & North Nottinghamshire Advertiser”, appeared.
1871 December The last mail stagecoach ran to Worksop.
1872 June Waterworks were opened on Nottingham Road and the first water mains were laid.
1872 2 March The Midland Railway Station opened.
1873 December The Police Station and Police Court (as the Magistrates Court was known) on Station Street was used for the first time.
1874 July The last horse race meeting was held at the Racecourse.
1875 June The Mansfield to Worksop railway opened.
1876 The Improvement Commissioners purchased the market tolls from the Lord of the Manor, the Duke of Portland.
1877 St Philip Neri’s Catholic School opened on Ratcliffe Gate.
1877 June Congregational (later United Reform) Chapel opened on Westgate.
1878 April Queen Elizabeth’s Boys Grammar School moves to and opens on Chesterfield Road.
1878 3 January The Cattle Market on Nottingham Road was opened.
1883 April The Improvement Commissioners purchased the Town Hall from the Town Hall Company.
1885 The Queen Elizabeth’s Girls Grammar School opened in converted houses on Woodhouse Road.
1887 A smallpox hospital was built on Brick Kiln Lane.
Primitive Methodists vacate chapel on Queen Street for larger premises on Woodhouse Road.
1889 1 October The Improvement Commissioners purchased the waterworks on Nottingham Road from the Mansfield Water Company.
1890 27 October The Mansfield and District General Hospital was officially opened by His Grace the (6th) Duke of Portland.
1891 Thompson’s School on Toothill Lane closed.
1891 3 June The Charter of Incorporation was granted, and Mansfield became a Borough.
1891 October The Queen Elizabeth’s Girls Grammar School was moved into purpose built premises on Woodhouse Road.
1891 28 October The Mansfield Free Public Reading Room and Library, in the Corn Exchange, Mansfield Town Hall, was officially opened by Mr. John Potter Briscoe, Librarian of the Nottingham Free Libraries.
1892 9 February The Borough coat of arms was granted.
1893 The smallpox hospital on Brick Kiln Lane was closed and was replaced by the new fever hospital which opened on Southwell Road.
1894 29 September The Brunts Technical School was officially opened by Lord Belper, Chairman of the Nottinghamshire County Council Education Committee.
1895 11 October The first issue of a local weekly newspaper, the “Mansfield Chronicle”, appeared.
1896 26 May The foundation stone of St. Mark`s Church, on the junction of Portland Street and Nottingham Road, was laid.
1896 7 October The Primitive Methodist chapel on Nottingham Road opened.
1896 19 December The Duke and Duchess of York (later King George V and Queen Mary) visited Mansfield.
1897 26 October The Rainworth Waterworks were officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. Robert Barringer (1819-1905).
1898 The first Mansfield School Board was elected.
1898 30 June The Pioneer Steam Omnibus arrived in Mansfield.
1898 15 September The Victoria Hospital was officially opened.
1900 25 April The Rosemary Schools, Mansfield’s first elementary school, was officially opened by Lord Belper, Chairman of the Nottinghamshire County Council Education Committee.
1901 6 March Wood Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel opened.
1901 8 April Victoria Hall (later Palais de Danse), Leeming Street, opened.
1902 Pleasley Hill school opened.
Sherwood Colliery was sunk.
1903 April King Edward Schools opened.
1903 17 June The municipal Electricity Works and Refuse Destructor were officially opened.
1903 October The School Board was replaced by the Borough Education Committee.
1904 Broomhill School opened.
1904 February Mansfield (Crown Farm) Colliery was sunk.
1904 16 April The Public baths were officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. John Edward Alcock (1861-1935).
1904 6 July The Baily Museum was officially opened.
1904 23 August Mansfield was granted a Borough Bench and a Commission of the Peace.
1905 Newgate Lane School opened.
1905 24 May The Mansfield Free Library, Leeming Street, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. George Hudson Hibbert (1842-1905).
1905 26 May Coal was reached at Mansfield (Crown Farm) Colliery.
1905 11 July Mansfield’s tram service was officially inaugurated by the Mayor, Mr. George Hudson Hibbert.
1905 26 December Opening of the Hippodrome, Midworth Street.
1906 17 September The Grand Theatre opened on junction of Bath Lane and Leeming Street.
1908 1 January Mansfield Corporation took control of the Markets.
1909 St.Lawrence`s Church, at the junction of Peck`s Hill and Skerry Hill, was opened.
1909 21 July The Clipstone Waterworks were officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. Timothy Taylor (1845-1919).
1909 August Visit to the town by General Booth, founder of the Salvation Army.
1909 September Bishop of Southwell consecrated new church dedicated to St. Lawrence on corner of Skerry Hill and Pecks Hill.
1910 4 September The Labour Exchange, Queen Street, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. John Henry Collins (1871-1941).
1910 13 December The Palace Electric Theatre, Leeming Street, opened by the Mayor, Alderman Timothy Taylor.
1912 Carter Lane School opened.
1912 9 May The Sewage Works, Bath Lane, were officially opened by His Grace the (6th ) Duke of Portland (1857-1943).
1912 November New Baptist Chapel opened on Rosemary Street, old building on Stockwell Gate used as schoolroom.
1913 July Post Office in Church Street was opened.
1914 Moor Lane School opened.
1914 March Titchfield Park was presented to the Corporation by His Grace the (6th) Duke of Portland.
1914 5 June The Freedom of the Borough was conferred upon His Grace the Duke of Portland, who thus became Mansfield’s first Freeman.
1914 25 June King George V and Queen Mary visited Mansfield.
1914 5 August The Empire Theatre, on corner of Stockwell Gate and Rosemary Street, opened.
1914 26 October The Rock Picture House on Skerry Hill opened.
1916 4 September Mansfield Railway opened for freight traffic.
1917 2 April Mansfield Railway opened for passenger traffic.
1918 October The Mansfield & Sutton Co-operative store, Stockwell Gate, was destroyed in a fire.
1919 The Corporation approved plans for the building of council houses.
1919 May Memorial tank placed in Titchfield Park.
1920 1 April The Picturedrome, Belvedere Street, opened. The building later became the Queen’s Hall.
1922 The new and enlarged Mansfield & Sutton Co-operative store, Stockwell Gate, opens on the site of that destroyed by fire in 1918.
1923 The Corporation purchased Field Mill for £3,760.
1923 May Foundation stone laying for St. Philip Neri Catholic Church on Chesterfield Road South.
1923 1 August The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII and then Duke of Windsor) visited Mansfield.
1924 3 May Berry Hill Hall was officially opened as a miners’ convalescent home by Mr. John Bingley.
1924 16 July Clerkson’s Alley Improvement Scheme, which led to the construction of Regent Street, was authorised.
1924 20 October Mr. John Harrop White (1856-1951) had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon him.
1925 Field Mill was demolished.
1925 25 March Opening of St. Philip Neri’s Catholic Church, closing of earlier church on Ratcliffe Gate.
1927 10 January High Oakham School opened.
1928 Regent Street was opened.
1928 11 July King George V and Queen Mary visited Mansfield.
1928 24 October The Mansfield Technical College, Chesterfield Road South, was officially opened by Lord Chelmsford (1868-1933).
1929 4 August The Duchess of York (the wife of the future King George VI) visited Mansfield and officially opened Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital.
1930 13 January The Labour Exchange, Victoria Street, was opened.
1930 27 March The last meeting of the Mansfield Board of Guardians took place.
1930 5 August The Plaza (later Granada) cinema opened on Westgate.
1930 19 November The Nottinghamshire County School of Art, at the rear of the Technical College, was officially opened by Mr. T. L. K. Edge, Chairman of the County Education Committee.
1931 30 March The Racecourse Playing Field was officially opened by Mr. John Edward Alcock (1861-1935), Chairman of the Pleasure Grounds and Allotments Committee.
1931 13 May The Berry Hill Open Air School was officially opened by Mrs. Ethel Wainwright (1878-1959), Chairman of Mansfield Education Committee.
1931 1 June Mansfield Town Football Club was elected to the Southern Section of the Football League’s Third Division.
1932 17 September A memorial to Charles Thompson, sited at his grave at Berry Hill, was dedicated by the Bishop of Southwell, Dr. Henry Mosely (1868-1948), and unveiled by Mr. Joseph Albert Beck (1878-1946), Chairman of Brunts Charity.
1932 18 September The bus service was officially inaugurated by the Mayor, Mr. Joseph Pollard (1882-1966). Mr. Daniel Henry Maltby (1854-1938) had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon him.
1932 10 October The last tram ran in Mansfield.
1933 25 January Winifred, Duchess of Portland (d. 30 July 1954), invested the Mayoress, Mrs. J. G. Pratt, with an official chain to be worn by the Mayoresses of Mansfield. It was a gift from the Duke of Portland.
1934 Mansfield Standard Sand Co. Ltd. formed.
1934 21 December An order was granted authorising the Corporation to take a bulk supply of gas from Grassmoor Colliery.
1935 4 December The new supply of gas from Grassmoor Colliery was officially turned on by Mr. Joseph Pollard, Chairman of the Gas Committee.
1936 Mansfield Colliery pithead baths were opened.
The Masonic Hall on Nottingham Road was opened.
1936 26 May Bull Farm Recreation Ground was officially opened by Mr. Charles Davey (1899-1950), Chairman of the Parks and Cemeteries Committee.
1936 24 September Ritz cinema, Chesterfield Road South, opened.
1936 28 July Mr. Joseph Albert Beck (1878-1946) had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon him.
1936 1 October The Trustee Savings Bank, Regent Street, was officially opened by Lord Mottistone (1868-1947).
1938 10 September The Co-operative Store, Queen Street, was officially opened by Mr. G. Baxter, President of the Mansfield & Sutton Co-operative Society.
1939 24 May The Fire Station, Rosemary Street, was officially opened by Sir Vivian Leonard Henderson (1884-1965), Chairman of the Fire Service Commission.
1939 20 June The Electricity Showroom, Regent Street, was officially opened by Mr. Cyril William Hurcomb, Chairman of the Electricity Commission.
1939 25 July It was announced that the firm of Barringer, Wallis & Manners was to be absorbed by the Metal Box Co. Ltd.
1939 23 August Derby Road was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. Joseph Herbert Williamson (1884-1946).
1939 30 September A Citizens’ Advice Bureau was set up.
1940 23 January The Mayor of Mansfield’s War Fund was set up by the Mayor, Mr. Percy William Stafford.
1940 18 May The Mansfield Group of the Local Defence Volunteers was formed.
1940 11 November The foundation stone of a new block at the Mansfield & District General Hospital was laid by His Grace the (6th) Duke of Portland (1857-1943).
1941 8 March The Pleasley Hill Branch Library was closed. It was converted into a British Restaurant.
1941 16 March The inaugural parade of the Air Training Corps took place.
1941 14 May The Belvedere Restaurant under the Queen’s Hall, Belvedere Street, was officially opened as a British Restaurant by the Mayor, Mr. Charles Herbert Langham.
1942 7 January An Art Gallery in the British Restaurant, the Queen’s Hall, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. Charles Herbert Langham.
1943 11 April A new block at the Mansfield & District General Hospital was officially opened by Sir Frederick Sykes (1877-1954), Chairman of the Miners’ Welfare Committee.
1944 27 April The Princess Royal visited Mansfield General Hospital.
1944 August The Army handed the Town Hall back to the Corporation. It had been requisitioned at the outbreak of war, and Council meetings had been held in the Electricity Showrooms, Regent Street.
1945 20 March The Mansfield Borough Education Committee held its last meeting. It had controlled Mansfield’s educational affairs since 1903.
1945 A Secondary Technical School opened in the Nissen huts left by the U.S. Army Hospital on Sutton Road.
1945 1 April The West Notts. Division of Nottinghamshire County Council assumed control of the educational affairs in Mansfield under the terms of the 1944 Education Act.
1945 8 May V. E. (Victory in Europe) Day. Gramophone records were relayed into the Market Place where there was dancing until midnight. The Town Hall was floodlit.
1947 29 January “The Woodlands”, Woodhouse Road, an elderly ladies hostel, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mrs. Ethel Wainwright (1878-1959).
1947 28 May A one-way traffic system was introduced in the town centre.
1948 18 February Debdale Hall was officially opened as a hospital by Sir George Edward Godber, a medical officer at the Ministry of Health.
1948 22 June The Mansfield Secondary Technical School, Sutton Road, was officially opened by Sir Hubert Stanley Houldsworth (1889-1956), Chairman of the East Midlands Division of the National Coal Board.
1948 5 July The hospitals were nationalised with the introduction of the National Health Service.
1948 20 July Mrs. Ethel Wainwright (1878-1959), had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon her.
1948 20 November “Sunnycroft”, The Park, was officially opened as a hostel for elderly men by Mr. Lewis John Edwards (1904-1959), Parliamentary Secretary at the Ministry of Health.
1949 1 May Mansfield’s Gas undertaking was nationalised under the terms of the Gas Act 1948.
1949 29 June H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth II) and the Duke of Edinburgh visited Mansfield. The Princess laid the foundation stone of the Portland Training College for the Disabled.
1949 13 July Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery of Alamein visited Queen Elizabeth’s Boy’s Grammar School.
1949 August The first television signals, from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter, were received in Mansfield.
1949 6 September Details of an inner ring road scheme for Mansfield were revealed for the first time.
1949 17 December The first official television programme from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter was received in Mansfield.
1950 31 March The British Restaurant in the Queen’s Hall, Belvedere Street, was closed down.
1950 25 April The Air Training Corps` Headquarters, Sutton Road, was officially opened by the (7th) Duke of Portland.
1950 24 July Queen Elizabeth, consort of H. M. King George VI, visited Mansfield and officially opened the Portland Training College for the Disabled.
1951 16 June The Co-operative Dairy, Southwell Road, was officially opened by Mr. Fred Oakley, President of the Mansfield & Sutton Co-operative Society.
1951 17 September The King`s Mill Hospital was officially opened by Mr. Hilary Adair Marquand, the Minister of Health.
1951 25 September Mr. German Abbott had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon him.
1952 26 March The Telephone Exchange, Pelham Street, became operational.
1952 27 March The last issues of the “Mansfield Advertiser” and the “Mansfield Chronicle” were published.
1952 3 April The first issue of the “Mansfield and North Nottinghamshire Chronicle Advertiser”, formed from the merger of the “Mansfield Advertiser” and the “Mansfield Chronicle”, was published.
1952 7 April The Telephone Exchange, Pelham Street, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. German Abbott.
1953 2 March Mansfield’s first Assize was conducted by Sir Geoffrey Hugh Benbow Streatfield.
1953 16 April The Windmill Ridge Infants School opened.
1953 6 June The Sherwood Foresters had the Freedom of Entry conferred upon them.
1953 27 August The Ethel Wainwright Junior School was opened.
1953 19 September A pump house at the Clipstone Waterworks was officially opened by Mr. John George Pratt, Chairman of the Water Committee.
1954 2 October The Ethel Wainwright Junior School was officially opened by Mr. (later Lord) James Chuter Ede (1882-1965).
1955 26 April Mansfield Town Council resolved to purchase the Palace Theatre, Leeming Street, to use as a civic theatre.
1955 30 April The Festival Gardens of Rest were officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. James Black Jenkins (1903-1984).
1955 10 October The first test signals from the Independent Television transmitter at Lichfield were received in Mansfield.
1955 31 December The L.N.E.R. Railway Station, Great Central Road, was closed to passenger travel.
1956 5 January The last issue of the “Mansfield Reporter” appeared. It was absorbed by the “Mansfield and North Nottinghamshire Chronicle Advertiser”.
1956 September The Rock Picture House, Skerry Hill, closed.
1957 The Secondary Technical School moved from U.S. Army Hospital Nissen huts on Sutton Road to Sherwood Hall.
1957 13 July The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Ladybrook, was consecrated.
1957 7 September The Thieves Wood Residential Special School was opened.
1958 The Mines Rescue Station on Woodhouse Road was opened.
1958 4 May The Ritz cinema closed.
1958 17 September The Sherwood Hall Girls Secondary School was officially opened.
1959 3 January The new headquarters of the Nottinghamshire Area of the National Union of Mineworkers, Berry Hill, was officially opened by Mr. Ernest Jones, President of the N.U.M.
1959 15 June The Mansfield-Southwell-Newark passenger rail service was discontinued.
1959 3 July A pumping station at the Rainworth Waterworks was officially opened by Mr. Leonard Lees, Chairman of the Water Committee.
1960 The Primitive Methodist chapel on Woodhouse Road closed.
1960 25 April The Dallas Street Centre for the Physically Handicapped was officially opened by Lord Piercy (1886-1966).
1960 18 May Mansfield Crematorium was opened by Ald. C.Harrison J.P. and dedicated by the Assnt. Bishop of Southwell, the Rt. Rev. A. Morris Gelsthorpe.
1960 23 October St. Bede’s Roman Catholic Secondary School was officially opened by His Eminence Cardinal William Godfrey (1894-1973), Archbishop of Westminster.
1960 15 November West Nottinghamshire Technical College, Derby Road, officially opened by Mr. (later Lord) Alfred Robens (1910-1999), Chairman Designate of the National Coal Board.
1961 15 January The Empire Cinema closed.
1961 19 July Mr. Athelstan Cumming Shepherd (1896-1979), Town Clerk from 1931-1961, had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon him.
1961 30 November Ladybrook Branch Library was officially opened by the Mayor, Mrs. Doris Frith (1902-1975).
1963 23 February The Beatles performed on stage at the Granada Cinema, Westgate, as a supporting act to Helen Shapiro, in the first of their two visits to Mansfield.
1963 1 August King’s Mill was destroyed by fire, damage was estimated at £100,000.
1963 1 October The Central Nottinghamshire Water Board was formed; it absorbed Mansfield’s Water Undertaking.
1964 29 January The Intake Trust Medical Library at the Mansfield & District General Hospital was officially opened by Dr. John Gibb McCrie, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Sheffield University.
1964 24 March The National Coal Board Computer Centre, Lichfield Lane, was officially opened by Sir Humphrey Browne, Deputy Chairman of the National Coal Board.
1964 20 April The Public Mortuary, Station Street, was officially opened by Mr. John Albert Rhodes, Chairman of the Health Committee.
1964 10 October Passenger rail services in Mansfield were discontinued when the last train ran from the Midland Station.
1965 25 February The Food Market, Queen Street, opened for business.
1965 March Sherwood Hall was demolished.
1966 22 March The Fishpool Hoard, gold coins and jewellery of the fourteenth/ fifteenth centuries, was found on a building site at Fishpool. At an inquest held in Mansfield on 14-15 December it was declared Treasure Trove.
1966 19 May It was announced that Mr. Harry Bernard Taylor (1895-1991), M.P. for the Mansfield Division 1941-1966, was to become a Life Peer. He took the title Lord Taylor of Mansfield.
1966 12 October Lord Taylor of Mansfield and Mr. George Green Goodhand (1900-1972) had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon them.
1966 1 December Sherwood Colliery Baths were purchased by the Corporation.
1966 4 December The Polish Catholic Association Centre, Windmill Lane, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. George Carter.
1967 30 August The first review of the West Nottinghamshire Town Map 1963-1981 was published; it contained proposals for the redevelopment of the town centre.
1967 11 October The subscriber trunk dialling system and the automatic telephone exchange, Pelham Street, was officially inaugurated by the Mayor, Mr. James Black Jenkins.
1968 Berry Hill Open Air School closed. Site used for Berry Hill Primary School.
1968 28 June The Health Centre, St. John Street, and the Bancroft House Psychiatric Hostel, Stockwell Gate, were officially opened by the Minister of Health, Mr. Kenneth Robinson.
1968 27 November A new Children’s Library in former shop premises, 56-58 Leeming Street, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mr. Charles Harrison (1894-1977).
1969 23 April The Central Nottinghamshire Water Board’s new premises, Great Central Road, were officially opened by the Board’s Chairman, Mr. Leonard Lees.
1969 19 May Mansfield’s first external cash dispenser was inaugurated at the Trustee Savings Bank, Regent Street.
1969 6 June The Sewage Works at Rainworth, a joint scheme by Mansfield Corporation and the Rural District Councils of Southwell and Basford, were officially opened by Mr. J. W. Barker.
1970 18 March Mr. Charles Harrison had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon him.
1970 April The old Fire Station, Toothill Lane, was demolished.
1970 6 April The Co-operative Societies of Mansfield & Sutton, Pleasley, Pleasley Hill, and Clowne, were merged.
1970 June The site of the Festival Gardens of Rest was cleared to make way for the first stage of the Inner Ring Road.
1970 19 June The Quarry Lane viaduct, built in 1871, was demolished.
1970 6 July The Union Street car park, Mansfield’s first purpose-built car park, was officially opened by the Mayor, Mrs. Winifred May Townroe (1909-1982).
1970 12 September The Ladybrook Boys’ Club, Townroe Drive, was officially opened by the boxer, Joe Bugner.
1970 13 September A new Mormon Chapel, Berry Park Lea, was dedicated by Elder Marion G. Romney.
1970 7 October The Sauna Baths, Bath Street, were officially opened by the Mayor, Mrs. Winifred May Townroe.
1970 28 November C. P. Evinson Ltd., Chesterfield Road South, opened Mansfield’s first self-service petrol filling station.
1971 January Bath House and the row of houses behind it at the junction of Leeming Street and Bath Lane were demolished to make way for the first stage of the Inner Ring Road.
1971 29 January Two Canberra jet bombers collide and crash south of Mansfield.
1972 22 March Mr. Alfred Arthur Armstrong, Mr. James Black Jenkins and Mrs. Agnes Milford had the Freedom of the Borough conferred upon them.
1972 26 April Draft proposals were published for the establishment of District Councils to come into existence on 1 April 1974. Mansfield Borough Council, Mansfield Woodhouse Urban District Council, and Warsop Rural District Council were to combine to form Mansfield District Council.
1972 10 June The Borough Labour Party Club, Commercial Gate, was officially opened by the Leader of the Opposition, Mr. James Harold Wilson, MP.
1972 1 October St. Peter’s Way, the first stage of the inner ring road, was open to traffic for the first time.
1972 23 October St. Peter’s Way was officially opened by Lord Mowbray and Stourton, the House of Lords spokesman for the Department of the Environment.
1972 13 November Hill House, Commercial Gate, the new headquarters of the Department of Social Security in Mansfield , was open to the public for the first time.
1972 21 November The proposal to unite the councils of Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse and Warsop into a new District Council on 1 April 1974 was approved by the Local Government Boundary Commission.
1973 January The Empire Cinema, at the junction of Stockwell Gate and Rosemary Street, was demolished.
1973 7 May The Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway railway station, Alfreton, was officially opened by the Chairman of British Rail, Mr. Richard Marsh.
1973 16 May Mr. Leonard Lees (1914–1987) was installed as the last Mayor of the Borough of Mansfield.
1973 23 May The Incinerator, Hermitage Lane, a joint project of Mansfield Borough and Mansfield Woodhouse U.D.C., was officially opened by Mrs. Winifred May Townroe, Chairman of Mansfield Health Committee.
1973 30 May The Granada cinema, Westgate, closed.
1973 28 June The inaugural meeting of the shadow authority, Mansfield District Council, took place in Mansfield Town Hall.
1973 28 July The new Friends’ Meeting House, Rosemary Street, the first building to be erected as a result of the central redevelopment, was opened by the Mayor, Mr. Leonard Lees.
1973 30 July Work began on clearing the site of the proposed shopping precinct between Westgate and Stockwell Gate.
1973 5 August Fluoride was added to Mansfield’s water supply for the first time.
1973 6 December A Park and Ride Bus scheme was inaugurated.
1973 12 December The Freedom of the Borough was conferred upon Mr. Philip Bryan Armstrong, Mrs. Lily Hill, Mr. William Kaye, Mr. Leonard Lees and Mrs. Winifred May Townroe.
1974 1 April The new Mansfield District Council was inaugurated.
The new Baptist Church, Rosemary Street, was opened.
1974 July The old Baptist Church, Rosemary Street, was demolished.
1974 26 September Bruntsfield Old Peoples Home, Eakring Road, was opened by Mr. German Abbott, Chairman of Brunts Charity.
1975 The last gasholder was demolished.
Princess Margaret opened Dawn House School, Rainworth.
1975 1 April Redcliffe House Community Centre, Radcliffe Gate, was officially opened.
1975 11 December The “Black Panther”, Donald Neilson, was captured.
1976 9 March The Four Seasons Shopping Centre was opened.
1977 23 March The old public library, Leeming Street, was closed.
1977 31 March The new public library, Westgate, was opened.
1977 28 July Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip visited Mansfield as part of the Silver Jubilee, and officially opened the new public library, Westgate.
1977 9 October A new section of the inner ring road was opened – a continuation of St. Peter’s Way between Albert Street and Portland Street.
1977 20 November The new bus station, Rosemary Street, was opened.
1978 23 March The ABC Cinema, Leeming Street, re-opened after conversion to a triple screen.
1978 November The Triple Action Theatre Group lease the old library building, Leeming Street.
1978 3 December The Polish Roman Catholic Church, Windmill Lane, was opened by the Primate of Poland, The Reverend Wladyslaw Rubin.
1979 19 May The Sandy Lane Health Centre was officially opened by the Member of Parliament for Mansfield, Mr. Don Concannon.
1979 10 July Handley Arcade, linking Leeming Street and Toothill Lane, was badly damaged by fire and temporarily closed.
1979 October The Nag’s Head, Westgate, was bought by British Home Stores for £560,000.
1980 26 June Mansfield Leisure Centre, Chesterfield Road South, was opened for a public preview prior to opening for business on 1 July.
1980 1 August Linney’s sell their Westgate shop to Martins the Newsagent.
1980 5 August The Tesco superstore, Oak Tree Lane, was opened.
1980 1 September The Oak Tree Lane Leisure Centre was opened.
1980 21 September The Mansfield Leisure Centre, Chesterfield Road South, was officially opened by the singer, Frankie Vaughan.
1980 November Handley Arcade was re-opened, following closure due to a fire in July.
1980 7 November Meadow Foundry, Sheepbridge Lane, closed.
1980 27 November A new public house, the Cuckoo Birch, was opened in the Oak Tree Lane estate.
1981 January A new ambulance station was opened next to King’s Mill Hospital, Sutton Road.
1981 March Belle Vue public house (built 1913), on the corner of Stockwell Gate and Belvedere Street, was demolished to make way for the inner ring road.
1981 17 March King`s Mill Ambulance Station, Sutton Road, was officially opened by Mr. E. Paper, Chairman of Nottinghamshire Area Health Authority.
1981 April The Triple Action Theatre Group vacate the old library building, Leeming Street, upon the expiry of their lease.
1981 1 October The last service was held at the United Reform Church, Westgate.
1982 9 August A new section of the inner ring road, a dual carriageway along Belvedere Street, was opened by the Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council, Mr. B. Whitelaw.
1982 13 September Community House, Wood Street, was opened as the offices of the Mansfield Council for Voluntary Services.
1982 October The old library building, Leeming Street, was re-opened as the Community Arts Centre.
1982 November The United Reform Church, Westgate, was demolished.
1982 13 November The Oak Tree Lane estate health centre was officially opened by the Chairman of the Central Nottinghamshire Health Authority, Mrs. Joan Foster.
1983 January The Co-op Dairy, Southwell Road West, was demolished.
1983 25 March The Centre for the Deaf, Wood Street, was opened by the 11th. Duke of Devonshire.
1983 14 April A Citizens Advice Bureau was opened in Market Street.
1983 June Portland Wharf, Station Street, was dismantled and removed to Butterley Railway Museum.
1983 September The Layton Burrows housing development was officially opened by the Chairman of the District Council, Mrs. Ethel May Dolman.
A 60 home development was begun on Baums Lane.
A DIAL office opened Community House, Wood Street.
1983 December The Greater Nottingham and the Mansfield Worksop Co-operative Societies agreed to merge.
1984 January The Old Eclipse public house, Westgate, was sold.
1984 March Start of year long coal-miners strike.
1984 26 October Argos was the first store to open in the new Rosemary Centre (formerly Lawn Mills).
1984 7 November A Co-op Superstore was opened on the site of the old Portland Wharf, Station Street.
1984 22 November The Old Town Mill, Bridge Street, re-opened as a public house.
1984 19 December Old Age Pensioners bungalows were opened in Sherwood Hall Gardens.
1985 7 February Prince Charles and Princess Diana visited Mansfield to open a £1 million extension to Portland Training College, and also visited Fountaindale School.
1985 March The Berry Hill water tower was demolished.
End of the year long coal-miners strike.
1985 30 March The Territorial Army Centre, Bath Street, was officially opened by Mr. Denis Thatcher (husband of the Prime Minister).
1985 May Goldie, Wade and Goldie Ltd., Bath Mill, was closed. Bath Mill was the last of five, originally water powered, mills built in the late eighteenth century to be used for its original purpose.
1985 June Nottingham Manufacturing Co. merged with Vantona Viyella.
1986 February The Nag’s Head public house, Westgate, was demolished.
1986 22 February British Home Stores, Westgate, was closed. It was to be demolished and rebuilt incorporating the adjacent Nag’s Head site.
1986 17 April The old Midland railway station on Station Road was re-opened as Brunels café bar and restaurant.
1986 July The Mansfield to Rainworth mineral railway reclamation scheme was begun. Railway bridges along the route, with the exception of the Drury Lane viaduct, were either demolished or filled in.
1986 September Mansfield District Council held its last meeting in the Town Hall before moving to the new Civic Centre.
1986 10 October Princess Margaret visited Dawn House School.
1987 February The Rock Valley development was begun.
1987 May A footpath, the “Mansfield Way”, was opened along the disused Mansfield to Rainworth mineral railway line.
1987 June Demolition of the New Town Mill, Ratcliffe Gate, was begun.
1987 25 June The Civic Centre, Chesterfield Road South, was officially opened by Princess Anne, the Princess Royal.
1987 3 July William Hollins mills at Pleasley Vale closed after a working life of 200 years.
1987 21 July Bentinck Chambers, Market Street, was badly damaged by fire.
1987 August Ransom Hospital patients were evacuated due to mining subsidence.
1987 October “Heatherdene”, Crow Hill Drive, was opened by the Central Nottinghamshire Heath Authority to give support to the mentally ill.
1987 October Berry Hill Rehabilitation Centre was closed.
1987 December Mandora, a subsidiary of Mansfield Brewery, was sold to A.G. Barr for £21½ million.
Miss World contestants visited Mansfield.
1988 March Mansfield Colliery was closed.
1988 April The former Sisters of Mercy Convent, Norfolk Drive, was re-opened as Woodleigh Christian Nursing Home.
1988 4 May The Millbrook Unit and Scanner Suite at King’s Mill Hospital was officially opened by the Duchess of Gloucester.
1988 6 May Curry’s Superstore, Nottingham Road, was opened.
1988 26 June Berry Hill Athletic Stadium was opened.
1988 27-29 August The first Mansfield Show was held in Berry Hill Park.
1988 29 September Princess Margaret opened an extension at Dawn House School, Rainworth.
1988 28 November A new “Centre” Tree was planted in Westgate, 48 years after the original was felled.
1988 22 December The Nottingham Road cattle market (opened 1877) was closed. The site was to be used for a Wet Leisure complex.
1989 January Construction work was begun on a retail and food park on Nottingham Road.
1989 27 January A B&Q store was opened on Baums Lane.
1989 3 February Coats Viyella’s Mansfield Knitwear factory, Botany Avenue, closed with the loss of 800 jobs.
1989 17 February Work began on the Portland Street section of the inner ring road.
1989 2 March The Duchess of York opened an extension to Mansfield Museum and visited Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital.
1989 May A replica pump in the old market place, Westgate, was dedicated to mark the introduction of Methodism to Mansfield 201 years ago.
1989 2 May The Duchess of York visited Mansfield and opened the Mansfield Museum extension, visited Harlow Wood hospital, and opened the new technical training centre at Portland Training College.
1989 1 July Halfords superstore, Baums Lane, was opened.
The Nottinghamshire Royal Society for the Blind office, Chaucer House, Layton Avenue, was opened.
1989 1 August The internationally acclaimed concert pianist John Ogdon died.
1989 October The Portland Street section of the inner ring road was opened.
1989 14 October The foundation stone for King’s Mill Hospice (to be known as John Eastwood House) was laid by Mrs. D. Cottingham of the Eastwood Foundation.
1989 31 December Carr Bank Manor, hotel and restaurant, was opened.
1990 1 March The Community Charge (a.k.a. Poll Tax) was introduced at a level of £378.
1990 20 March The Safeway superstore on Nottingham Road was opened.
1990 8 June Queen Elizabeth II visited Portland Training College.
1990 July Patchills sheltered accommodation, Eakring Road, was opened.
1990 30 July Lord William Cavendish-Bentinck, 9th. Duke of Portland died. (This marked the end of the dukedom, which then passed as an earldom to Henry Noel Bentinck).
1990 16 September The Central Baths, Bath Street, were closed.
1990 October The Central Baths were demolished.
1990 8 December Blizzards caused prolonged loss of power, water and even telephones.
1990 15 December The Water Meadows wet leisure complex was opened on the site of the old Cattle Market and Central Baths.
The Victoria Hospital was renamed the Mansfield Community Hospital.
1991 February The Japanese textile firm, Toray, agreed terms to build a factory in Mansfield.
1991 11 April Lord Taylor of Mansfield died, aged 95.
1991 6 May There was a massive blaze at B. & J. Plastics, Grove Street, Mansfield Woodhouse.
1991 July The Robin Hood rail line was given the go-ahead by Nottinghamshire County Council.
1991 4 August Introduction of night time traffic ban on Leeming Street, Regent Street and Market Place.
1991 29 November The Water Meadows swimming complex was officially opened by the Princess Royal.
1991 20 December The Granada bingo hall, Midworth Street, (formerly the Hippodrome) was destroyed by fire.
1992 January Carr Bank Manor was bought by a leisure company, Worldwide Snooker, and renamed Manor Hotel.
1992 31 January Sherwood Colliery was closed.
1992 February Ravensdale School “opted out” to grant-maintained status.
1992 3 March Morrison’s superstore opened on Sutton Road.
1992 13 September Mansfield General Hospital was closed.
1992 14 October King’s Mill Hospice was officially opened by the Duchess of Kent.
1992 21 November Ravensdale School was officially opened on a grant-maintained basis by an ex-headmaster, Mr. Hans Tuchler, and a governor, Mr. D. Sheffield.
1993 January Crowther House, a 12 flat housing development for schizophrenics was opened on the Oak Tree Lane estate.
1993 February A British Gas customer service centre opened in Lime Tree Place.
1993 16 February The Princess Royal visited King’s Mill Hospital.
1993 March The old NatWest Bank, Market Street, re-opened as the Bootlickers public house.
1993 1 April West Nottinghamshire College was transferred from local authority control to that of the Further Education Funding Council.
1993 21 April Crowther House was officially opened by the Chairman of the District Council, Mr. Alan Weaver.
1993 17 May The Robin Hood railway line opened between Nottingham and Newstead.
1993 14 June Mansfield Town Football Club was bought from Abacus Holdings by Mr. Keith Haslam.
1993 8 July The Toray textile factory was officially opened by the President of Toray Industries, Mr. K. Maeda.
1993 August Work begun on sewage treatment improvements on Bath Lane.
1993 28 August A new public house, Widecombe Fair, was opened on the junction of Oak Tree Lane and Southwell Road West.
1993 September Queen Elizabeth Boys School and Queen Elizabeth Girls School merged.
1993 11 November Canon Warburton conducted a service of dedication for a new war memorial at the Civic Centre.
1993 26 November Rufford Colliery, Rainworth, was closed.
1994 January The Stagand Pheasant public house was acquired by the Pubmaster chain as its 31st Tap & Spile traditional ale house.
1994 24 January Clipstone Colliery was re-opened under private ownership. The first colliery to be sold by British Coal, an eight year lease had been purchased by RJB Mining.
1994 22 February Work on the Oak Tree Lane Business Park was launched by the Chairman of the District Council, Mrs. Fay Spate.
1994 1 April King’s Mill Hospital acquired Trust status.
1994 22 April The Duchess of Gloucester opened the Rowen Place wing of Portland College.
1994 5 May Prince Charles visited Mansfield and Garibaldi School, Forest Town.
1994 8 May Death of Lady Victoria Wemyss, only daughter of the 6th Duke of Portland, at the age of 104 years.
1994 9 June Cardinal Basil Hume visited Mansfield to lead special thanksgiving service to celebrate the re-opening of the church of St. Philip Neri, following 9 months renovation.
1994 17 June The final phase of the inner ring road was officially opened by the Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council, Mr. Peter Burgess.
1994 1 August A tourist information office opened in the Town Hall.
1994 3 September Rufford Colliery headstocks demolished.
1994 9 September The foundation stone of a new Magistrates Courts, Rosemary Street, was laid by the Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council, Mr. Peter Burgess, and the Chairman of Nottinghamshire Magistrates Court Committee, Mr. George Fish.
1995 7 March Death of Charles Fletcher, aged 103 years, creator of the design for the Quality Street tins while employed by Barringer, Wallis and Manners, Ltd., Rock Valley.
1995 31 March Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital was closed.
1995 7 June The Johnson Controls factory in Oakham Business Park was officially opened by the Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council, Mrs. Sandra Taylor.
1995 26 July The Civic Theatre, Leeming Street, was renamed the Palace Theatre.
1995 August A new sports pavilion was opened in Queensway Park, Forest Town.
1995 5 August Sir John Eastwood died, aged 86 years.
1995 21 September Mansfield’s Enterprise Zone, based at Crown Farm Industrial Park, was officially opened by the Environment Minister, Sir Paul Beresford.
1995 20 October The National Westminster Bank’s North Nottinghamshire Corporate Business Centre was opened on Southwell Road West.
1995 23 October A new £35m. distribution centre for Mansfield Brewery opened in Oakham Business Park.
1995 November Demolition begun of the old Fire Station on Rosemary Street.
W. & J. Linney Ltd. sell their newspaper interests, including the CHAD, to Johnston Press plc, for £20m..
Death of Charles Warrell, aged 106 years, former head of Pleasley Hill Schools and creator of the 1950s “I-Spy” books.
1995 3 November The Japanese firm, Eftan Europa, opened in Oakham Business Park.
1995 13 November A community radio station, Radio Mansfield, was granted a one-month licence.
1995 20 November The official opening of the Robin Hood railway line to Mansfield and Mansfield Woodhouse was performed by the Secretary of State for Transport, Sir George Young.
1996 18 March The new Magistrates Courts, Rosemary Street, opened.
1996 1 April The New Perspectives Theatre Group take over the running of the Mansfield Community Arts Centre and rename it “The Old Library”.
1996 8 July The Princess Royal officially opened the new Magistrates Courts, Rosemary Street.
1996 24 August Blake & Beeley Ltd. close their shop on Church Street.
1996 6 September Part of the old Mansfield General Hospital building was re-opened as West Bridgford High School.
1996 24 September Tom Cobleigh plc was sold to the Rank Organisation for £95m.
1996 September Dr. Alan Griffin, mining historian, died.
1996 3 October The Four Seasons Shopping Centre was sold by Legal & General to a Canadian company, PillarCaisse, for more than £23m.
1996 6 October Death of Mr. George Jelley, aged 91 years, former Chairman of the District Council (1977/8).
1996 December The first 6 closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras were installed in the town centre.
1997 February Richard Bacon, the son of a local solicitor, was chosen to be a Blue Peter presenter on BBC television.
1997 21 March Queen Elizabeth II visited Queen Elizabeth School.
1997 May The Palace Theatre was closed for refurbishment.
1997 June The Duchess of Gloucester opened the Retraining and Community Education Centre (RETRACE) at Sutton Road First School.
1997 28 July The Duchess of Gloucester officially opened the new Mansfield Fire Station, Rosemary Street.
1997 September West Bridgford High School, occupying part of the old General Hospital buildings on West Hill Drive, closed.
1997 22 October Sir Colin Campbell, Vice-Chancellor of Nottingham University, opened the University Centre at West Nottinghamshire College.
1997 November Mansfield Family Trust and Mansfield Family Housing Association go into liquidation.
1997 20 November Walkers Bingo Hall, Nottingham Road, was opened.
1997 27 November The ABC cinema, Leeming Street, closed.
1997 5 December The ABC multiplex cinema, Nottingham Road, opened.
1997 15 December The Duke of Kent visited the Johnson Controls factory in Oakham Business Park.
The Palace Theatre, Leeming Street, re-opened following refurbishment.
1998 January Work began on the Clumber Street redevelopment with the demolishing of empty shops.
1998 16 March The President of the Board of Trade, Mrs. Margaret Beckett, opened W. & J. Linney Group’s £11m. headquarters on Adamsway.
1998 23 April A replacement plaque, to the soldiers of the Sherwood Forester Regiment who died in the Second World War, was unveiled in Carr Bank Park.
1998 7 May Radio Mansfield won an independent broadcasting licence, to commence on the 1st February 1999.
1998 25 May The Robin Hood railway line extension to Worksop opened.
1998 20 June The headmaster of Garibaldi School, Mr. Bob Salisbury, received a knighthood.
1998 29 June The Chairman of the Police Authority and the Chief Constable took part in a topping out and commemoration stone laying ceremony for the new Police Station on Great Central Road.
1998 17 July Making It! Discovery Centre opened in the old brewhouse building of Mansfield Brewery.
1998 30 September The head offices of Tom Cobleigh, on Oak Tree Lane, closed.
1998 October The Four Seasons Shopping Centre was sold by PillarCaisse to a Dutch firm, Hazelmere.
1998 24 October The Cantamus Girls Choir celebrated its 30th. anniversary at Mansfield Leisure Centre.
1998 26 October An Asda superstore opened on Old Mill Lane.
1999 February Mansfield Shoe Group called in administrators. 117 workers were made redundant.
1999 1 February A local radio station, Mansfield 103.2, formerly Radio Mansfield, began broadcasting.
1999 31 March The new Police Station on Great Central Road opened and the old one on Station Street closed.
1999 April Mansfield Shoe Group was saved from closure by a management buy-out.
1999 July Work began on the Rainworth by-pass.
1999 24 July The trustees of the charitable trust which was the majority shareholder of Mansfield Brewery PLC put the charity’s shares on the market.
1999 21 September The first one day a month “Buttercross Fayre” farmers market opened in the old market place, Westgate.
1999 23 September The new Mansfield Police Station, Great Central Road, was officially opened by the Duke of Kent.
1999 7 October The CentrePoint loyalty card shopping scheme was launched.
1999 November The old ABC cinema, Leeming Street, was bought by Allied Leisure PLC, for conversion into a snooker hall.
1999 23 December The £253m. takeover of Mansfield Brewery by Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries was completed.